This Thursday, the Venezuelan National Assembly approved an agreement in repudiation of the kidnapping of Venezuelan ambassador Alex Saab by the government of the United States in complicity with the authorities of Cape Verde.
In this regard, the Venezuelan Parliament condemned “the immoral, arbitrary and illegal extraction operation carried out by the Government of the United States on October 16, 2021 against Venezuelan ambassador Alex Nain Saab Morán, representative of the Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela before the dialogue table taking place in Mexico and diplomatic representative of Venezuela before the African Union”, reads the agreement.
Likewise, the Legislative Power categorically demands the government of the United States “the immediate release of Alex Nain Saab Morán and the protection of his life, health and personal integrity”.
Agreement of repudiation of the National Assembly on the kidnapping of Alex Saab
The deputies express their solidarity with Camilla Fabri Saab, wife of the Venezuelan diplomat, their sons and daughters and other family members “in these difficult moments that they are going through due to the immoral, arbitrary and illegal action of the government of the United States”.
The agreement also contemplates to denounce “before the world and all multilateral instances the human rights violations of which the Venezuelan diplomat Alex Nain Saab Morán has been a victim”.
The following is the agreement presented by the National Assembly:
“Whereas, 491 days ago the Venezuelan diplomat Alex Saab was detained by the government of Cape Verde in an arbitrary and illegal manner, in open violation of his human rights, being kidnapped without an arrest warrant under political pressure by the government of the United States when he was on a diplomatic mission aimed at guaranteeing food to the Venezuelan people to overcome the criminal effects that the economic, financial and commercial blockade has generated on the life and health of our population.
Whereas, the government of Venezuela publicly denounced the kidnapping of the Venezuelan diplomat by the government of the United States, in complicity with the authorities of Cape Verde, who tortured him and held him prisoner for almost 500 days without an arrest warrant or due process, violating the laws of the Republic of Cape Verde and the Viera Convention, systematically violating his human rights, events that were condemned by the United Nations.
Whereas, the government of Cape Verde has repeatedly refused to abide by the jurisdictional decisions ordering the release of Alex Saab, including the disregard of the March 15, 2021 judgment of the Court of the Economic Community of West African States, ratified on June 24, 2021, which ordered his immediate release, as well as the instruction of June 8, 2021, of the Human Rights Committee of the United Nations, regarding the suspension of his extradition to the United States.
Whereas, on October 16, 2021, the United States Department of State kidnapped and transferred the Venezuelan diplomat from Cape Verde to United States territory, keeping him detained in an immoral, arbitrary and illegal manner, in open contravention to international law, to all the conventions that regulate diplomatic activity in the world and to international treaties on human rights.
Considering that Alex Saab is the permanent representative of the government of Venezuela at the Dialogue Table that is being held in Mexico with sectors of the Venezuelan opposition through the mediation of the Kingdom of Norway, and the accompaniment of the Russian Federation and the Kingdom of the Netherlands, for which reason the Venezuelan delegation announced the suspension of its participation in the Negotiation and Dialogue Table that was to begin on October 17 as a protest against the brutal aggression and grave violation of human rights, agrees to
1. To condemn and repudiate the immoral and arbitrary and illegal kidnapping operation carried out by the government of the United States on October 16, 2021, against the Venezuelan diplomat Alex Saab, representative of the government of Venezuela to the Dialogue Table being held in Mexico and to the African Union.
2. To demand from the government of the United States the immediate release of Alex Saab and the protection of his life, health and personal integrity.
3. To express the greatest solidarity with the wife, children and family of Alex Saab in these difficult moments that they are going through due to the immoral, arbitrary and illegal action of the government of the United States.
4. To denounce before the world and before all multilateral bodies the human rights violations of which the Venezuelan diplomat has been a victim.
5. To support the suspension of the participation in the Negotiation and Dialogue Table that was to begin on October 17, 2021 in Mexico City as an expression of deep protest against the brutal aggression against the person and investiture of the delegate Alex Saab.
6. To publish this Agreement in the Official Gazette”.